Garden Walk Mall in Chico, California had the misfortune of having a sprinkler pipe burst open during the holiday shopping season in December. The burst pipe flooded the mall, and during the cleanup process, the damaged floor tiles were discovered to contain asbestos. Asbestos is a toxic mineral that was commonly used in many building materials until it was banned from most products in the 1980s, although many older buildings are still contaminated.
Now the mall is undergoing asbestos abatement, which will be completed in two phases. Asbestos removal must be carried out by trained professionals in order to protect public health. All merchants in the mall should be back to business as usual by next month.
To read more about this story, please visit: Web Wire